I can't even tell you how excited I am to be having a little boy. I constantly wonder who he's going to look like and what traits he'll get from me. I truly hope he's a miniature Ryan in looks, attitude and ability, but there are some things I hope he'll pick up from me (e.g., my love of reading). I love imagining the day that Ryan will teach him how to throw a curve ball, how to bait a hook and how to ride a bike. But there are some things I want to be able to teach him too. So when I saw this article the other day called "15 Things a Mom Should Teach her Boys," I got so excited! I loved it so much I want to reprint it here for you. This is such a great list and has made me so excited about all the things I get to teach my son one day. Of course, he'll be able to learn these things by watching his father (because Ryan had a great mom who taught him these things) - there are just some things that only a mom will be able to teach.
1. The kitchen is not just for girls. Learn to use a stove. Cook for yourself...it's sure to impress.
2. If a girl tries to change you she doesn’t really love you no matter how much you want her to. Move on.
3. Shower daily, comb your hair, keep your nails trim and use deodorant.
4. A dutch oven is never funny. EVER. Don't even go there.
5. It is NEVER acceptable to break up with a girl over the phone, via text or email.
6. Understand how to use basic tools. Be handy.
7. When you ask a girl, “Is something wrong?” and she says, “No.” She’s lying. If you have to ask, there's already a problem.
8. The job of a stay-at-home mom is equally as hard as yours (if not more) and just as important (if not more).
9. Table manners. Learn them. Use them.
10. You will never know a stronger pull than that of your friends trying to get you to participate in their wrongdoing. Resisting makes you a man. Succumbing makes you a coward. They'll respect you more for resisting than they'll like you for participating.
11. NEVER use your fists to solve ANY dispute. One wrong punch could take a life and it could be yours.
12. Condoms can and will save your life.
13. Never use the word gay in a derogatory manner. It’s ignorant and intolerant.
14. Sexting is a federal offense and can ruin lives.
15. Real girls do not look like Victoria’s Secret models. Learn to love and respect that.
Anything else that you would add?